Effective ways to recyle food waste
Hotels and restaurants generate a large amount of recyclable waste. It also requires more specialized waste bins and transport trolleys. The most common types of waste include organic waste (prepared foods and their ingredients), plastic, glass, metal, paper and cardboard that can be handled with a variety of waste rubber containers and other outdoor containers. With proper planning, they can be greatly reduced and recycled, which helps to save valuable natural resources as well as save energy wasted in making new products. Proper planning can also help in efficient disposal of waste that cannot be recycled. Waste can be greatly reduced by reducing, reusing and recycling. This article looks at some of the most effective food waste recycling
Ideas to reduce, reuse, and recycle
- Replace utensils and dishes made of disposable materials with reusable ones. The reusable items are economical in the long run as they can be used repeatedly after cleaning and this reduces waste costs.
- Use reusable napkins and tablecloths instead of disposable ones.
- Buying large containers instead of buying many small containers. Not only will this save money, but it will also reduce container waste.
- If you see a pattern in the food customers have left, think smaller portions. If necessary, change the cost accordingly, the lower cost will make you more competitive, and less food will be wasted.
- Ask your suppliers to provide you with products that are packaged in recyclable materials.
- Buying concentrated liquids and soap, and then distilling them at the end instead of buying ready-to-use solutions. Not only will you save money but also reduce container waste.
Characteristics of a successful recycling program
- Educating your employees about the benefits of reuse and recycling is of prime importance. Full employee participation can help make your recycling program a success.
- Make sure your recycling bins and rubbish bins look different and are clearly marked with the recycling labels.
- Recycling bins should be located in convenient places that are accessible to all. This applies to both containers placed in the cooking area and containers placed in the customer’s area.
- Inform customers about the recycling program in their facilities. This will also help improve your image and also encourage customer participation to recycle waste materials.
Major recycling container manufacturers such as Rubbermaid, Waste Warrior, Ecolad, United Receptacles, Techstar, Witt and Safco have manufactured various containers with the recycling needs of the food industry in mind. Some of the most popular bins for employees are stackable recycling bins and recycle carts. The most popular bins in customer area are recycling bin for aluminum cans, designer and steel boxes, and you will find a variety of recycling bins to suit your hotel or restaurant needs.